Dogs are a woman's best friend. You've heard this before, and the reasons may seem obvious (they're cuddly and loyal and don't judge your Bachelorette binges), but did you know they could also help you lose weight? That, and five more research-backed reasons to add a fluffy buddy to the family below.
They Provide Social Support
You call him Buddy for a reason. Studies have shown that having a pet can help boost your self-esteem and foster a sense of belonging—especially after experiencing some sort of rejection. Just come back from a bad date? Had a crappy day at work? Some QT with your pup should turn it around.
They Ease Stress
Just petting a dog has been shown to reduce feelings of anxiety and increase feelings of calm. In fact, Harvard Medical School brought a registered therapy dog into their offices to help create a happier environment for their employees. (Something you might want to bring up when lobbying for a pet-friendly workplace.)
They Make Your Kids More Responsible
Makes sense, right? To take care of a pet means thinking about something (or, ahem, someone) other than you. Research also indicates . . .
You Qualify for 10% Subscription Discount
Pay Just $50 for 6 Month Premium Digital Access
- Access grillaras.com on your desktop, mobiles and tablet
- 1 Year company Post archive
- Personalized email briefings and popular internet stories
You might also like
- A health and care centre in Northern Ireland by Hoskins Architects and Keppie Design engages
- Hopkins Architects’ Institute in the Park at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital is designed
- 5 Spectacular Places to Watch the Sunrise and Sunset
- The World’s 6 Most Famous Streets
- 6 Most Beautiful Natural Pools in the World